SUNDAY, MAY 21 – 11:00 AM
NEW 4-hour race format! Come and test your physical and mental abilities as you navigate through the greater Richmond area. This adventure race is a multi-sport event where not only will your speed be tested, but also your capacity to work as a team, read a map and compass, make the right decisions, and endure along a course throughout Richmond designed by Richmond ASR (2014 USARA Open Division National Champions). Plan to spend 4 hours riding, running, and paddling, from an undisclosed start line to the finish line in the middle of Dominion Energy Riverrock!
Through March 31
April 1 – April 30
|May 1 – May 17
NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
Includes: paddling gear for race day (boats, PFDs and paddles), a cool event t-shirt, post-race beer or soda, and a free concert.
SIGN UP ONLINE through 11:59 p.m. on May 17. NO Walk-up or Race day registration.
You can participate in teams of 2, 3 or 4. If you want to race solo you must first be vetted by the race directors in order to ensure the safety of all racers. If you would like to race solo please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Packet Pick Up:
Packet Pick-up is in the American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar courtyard during the following times:
Sunday, May 21 from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
A photo ID is required for adults to pick up your packet (not required for minors without IDs).
All teams will be racing against the clock and trying to maximize check-points found before the finish time. Teams will also be seperated into divisions and racing against each other…i.e. “2-person co-ed, 3 or 4 person male, 3 or 4 person co-ed, etc”. You can race to be “top dog” overall and also race to humble the other teams in your division. The more teams there are, the more fun it is.”
All participants must be at least 15 years old to participate.
Tips & Safety:
- Water and food will be available throughout the course at some of the TAs and at some stores (bring some cash), but plan to be self-sufficient.
- We highly recommend the use of gaiters/long pants or something to cover the lower part of your legs for the orienteering sections. We’ve seen some poison ivy out already.
- Be ready for some ticks and bugs.
- Bike sections will include roads, fire roads and single track so plan your tires accordingly. There may be some hiking with bikes as well.
- Paddling will include all flatwater and may include a short portage.
- Bring a pen and something to write on (one per team)…youll need it.
- Sunglasses are recommended.
- Take care of your maps and passports. Store them in a safe and dry place during the race.
- Depending on the weather on race day one or two items could be taken out of the list of mandatory gear.
- No use of GPS
- To remain official, team must stay together (no more than 100 meters apart)
- Ranking: The final decision is made by the race committee. Teams will be ranked by the total number of mandatory Checkpoints (CPs) acquired. In the case of a tie, we will count the number of optional CPs obtained. If there is a further tie, the team with the fastest time will be ranked higher. All time cut-offs must be attained in order to be considered “full course.” If a team does not make a time cut-off, they will be forced to skip the next section and be moved forward on the race course. You must finish within the total time allowed. Teams will be penalized one check point for every minute past the finishing time.
- Passport: Teams must keep their passport with them at all times. If you lose the passport, you are disqualified. Teams are responsible for marking their passports correctly. If a passport needs to be signed by a race official at a checkpoint, the team is responsible for insuring that it is signed correctly before continuing with the race.
- Misplaced, stolen, or missing CPs: If a CP is missing or stolen, it will be removed from the race course final tally.
- Protests: All protests must be submitted in writing within 1 hour of the official finish time.
- The race organizers reserve the right to award bonuses and penalties throughout the race.
- No use of “off limit” roads and trails (these will be marked or discussed at the start).
- No littering…and no damage of trails or property…do not disturb wildlife.
- Help other teams in case of emergencies. Teams will be given bonuses for time spent.
- Always wear and use safety and mandatory gear required for each section of the race (See below under TIPS & SAFETY for Gear Required).
- If you fall behind, race organizers reserve the right to not allow you to continue.
- Consumption of alcohol before the race is PROHIBITED.
GEAR NEEDED FOR THE DOMINION RIVERROCK ADVENTURE RACE
PERSONAL GEAR – to be carried by each competitor for the entire race
- Food and drinks deemed necessary for the race
- Knife: folding blade is OK
- Waterproof shell or jacket
TEAM GEAR – each team must have these things
- Cell Phone (in waterproof case): fully charged
- First Aid Kit:
* 4 doses of pain reliever
* 4 Alcohol or betadine swabs
* 4 Band Aids
* 3 inch (or larger) ACE wrap bandage
* Medical or Duct Tape
* Antibiotic Cream i.e. Neosporin
* 4 doses of Benadryl (diphenhydramine)
- Passport: given at race start
- All Maps (given at race start) and waterproof map case (Ziploc bags are OK but having dry maps REALLY helps!)
PADDLING GEAR – specific gear needed for Paddling Section
- Boats, PFDs and paddles will be provided with your race registration.
BIKE GEAR – specific gear needed for Biking Section
- Mountain Bike (road or cyclo-cross bikes NOT allowed) for each person
- Bike Helmet (ANSI/Snell Approved) for each person
- Front Light (white) for each bike
- Back Light (red) for each bike
- Bike Repair Kit (one per team)
- Spare tube and patch kit for each bike
Mountain bike rentals are available locally through Riverside Outfitters, and for those part of the VCU community, through the VCU Outdoor Adventure Program.
Not knowing the course ahead of time is half the adventure in an adventure race! The course description will be handed out the morning of the race but this year you can expect single track (with a twist), dirt roads and paved roads during the biking sections, a surprise paddling section and bushwacking and a spectacular finish right in the middle of Dominion Energy Riverrock! We will be sending information to registered racers as we get closer to race time. This will help your team plan for a day of fun. Logistics will be minimal for racers with more details will be provided as race day gets closer.
Organized by: Dominion River Rock